Thursday, January 3, 2013

Behaviorism, Cognition, and a GPS

Nothing too serious in this post, just a little bit of fun food for thought, enjoy :)

         Ah yes, the age old debate.  Do human have an innate wisdom and learn things through their own individual development (cognition) - or - do our society and environment teach us as we go (behaviorism)?  I'm not going to take a clear side on this issue as I think that both points are very valid and it is, in fact, a combination of both which leads to our growth and development.
          The purpose of this post is actually a rather mundane incident that made me reconsider the relationship between behaviorism and cognition.  A few days ago I was driving through downtown Atlanta, you know, major highway infrastructure and the works.  I use a GPS in my car and if you have used one before, you know that such devices can be a bit deceptive.  For example, when in a dense interplay of highways and exit ramps, it is not always clear whether one should stay the current route which curves slightly or the exit ramp which curves a bit more aggressively.
          There have been many times in the past where I have made the incorrect decision and had to volley around traffic and deters to correct the mistake.  However, on this particular occasion I made the correct decision.  So, an interesting question popped into my head.

Did I make the correct decision because....

A)  Nearing the age of 25 the frontal cortex of my brain is nearly fully developed and my cognitive capacity has grown since the last use of my GPS?

- or -

B)  I had learned through experience how to more effectively read the screen and directions of my GPS unit?

         

No comments:

Post a Comment