Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 in Review

Tis the season to be reflecting on the past year.  Most people start things off by making a cliche'd resolution that will (in all honesty) probably fail within the first month.  Rather, I like to start things off with a reflection of the year 2012.  Now that I think about it, it has been quite an eventful year!

          In March I competed in my latest Jiu Jitsu tournament which resulted in me being eliminated in the first round due to a time keeping technicality.  This was  major disappointment considering that I had spent months training at an extra intensity and was not cutting as much weight as I normally do.  However, life goes on....

          Later in the month, however, I was granted acceptance to two of the Psychology Graduate Programs I had applied to; those being the University of West Georgia and the University of Dallas.  This, of course meant that I fulfilled my commitment to myself and opened a celebratory bottle of Bushmills Reserve which I had purchased in May of 2009 with the promise not to open it until I was accepted to Graduate School.  It has been a long time coming, but still tasted just as bitter and sweet as I had remembered!

          In May I competed in my first Amateur Boxing match.  My scheduled opponent did not show up.  I took a catch fight against a larger opponent with more experience.  But I had trained hard, made weight, and I had shown up to fight, not sit on the bench.  I lost the fight by a split decision, literally by one point from one judge.... it doesn't get much closer than that!  I also had the opportunity to be invited to one of good college friend's wedding which was a beautiful celebration.

          June followed with another wedding from another good college friend.  The wedding was beautiful and lets just say the reception celebration was "intense." :)

          In August I left my full time job, benefits, family, and friends in Illinois to travel to the University of West Georgia and begin my graduate studies there.  This also meant finding a new martial arts academy to train at (see below).

            In September I was promoted to the BJJ rank of Blue Belt at the Alliance Academy in Atlanta, Georgia.  This was a major milestone in my competition career!

          October found that I was not able to support myself unemployed and would need to find a part time job while attending school.  This was a very sad month as I had to make the difficult decision to discontinue my jiu jitsu and mixed martial arts training due to financial reasons.  It was heartbreaking.

          During the Thanksgiving break in November I went on my first outdoor rock climbing trip with a few friends.  Rock climbing has since served to fill the community, athletic, and competitive void in my life after (temporarily) discontinuing my combat training.  The trip was a ton of fun, truly something remarkable.  


           Alas, December brings a time for reflection.  I did not make it home for the holidays, but shared an internet Christmas with my family over Skype.  The break has been a nice long one.  I've spent a bit too much time alone in my apartment and charging the depths of my mind, but a little exploration and social deprivation only makes you appreciate how far you've come and what you've accomplished.  But life's too short to watch it from the rearview mirror.  Life is not a spectator sport.  Live and be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment