Sunday, May 11, 2014

My Summer of Code: A Hobby

    Sorry to disappoint anyone who was looking for the annual Google event, but rather a far more modest endeavor.  School has been out for a couple weeks now and not having any courses or a job scheduled for the summer can only mean one thing for me.  An opportunity to indulge my inner [nerd]gear-head.  That is, this will most certainly be a "summer of code" for me.

     I make now effort to hide my FOSS and Linux fandom.  On the other hand I'm learning to ration my zealot cards.  A "comparing distributions" ("flavors" of Linux) post seems a bit cliche' at this point in time as there is a great deal of information already on the inter-webs; though it may come in the future from here.  Anyone who has spent any time on this blog knows that that I can span pretty farm from a stereotypical analytic / mechanistic behavioral personality.  However, I find that hobbies such as computer science, provide a nice counter-balance to the more existentially weighted side of my brain.  But such projects remain just as I have mentioned.... "hobbies."  I am not a programmer and I do not work in IT.  I have no (plans to obtain a) degree in computer science, and anything I can or have to offer has come through putting my nose on a grindstone and pouring over Google searches and forum posts.
     More to the point, there is a philosophy behind that this kind of thinking and that is the constant push for new.  Better?  Perhaps.... My recently found free-time (who knew that ever existed!)has afforded me an opportunity to oblige the internet gods and let my left-brain get grinding.  This is, of course, also a nice change of pace for this blog.  I'm sure the summer will hold plenty of climbing updates, and a *hint, hint* new nutrition post is in the works.  Nevertheless, its an exciting time.

     Basically I'll spare you the speech on "Why you should(n't) switch to Linux" and, rather, let you do your own homework and make that decision for yourself.  For me the decision was made nearly two years ago.  I won't say I "never" looked back, but through many a all-nighter, many beers, a lot of coffee, much Google-ing and hair-pulling, and not much else other than the joy of doing it I'd like to think I've gotten somewhere.  Maybe that isn't any further than before, but its certainly not the same place.  I've also started to use GitHub and that is where you will be able to find far more information on my summer projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment