Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Shot of Bourbon

          The following is a poem that I wrote in 2010 and was published in my (no archived) blog "Lies of Lions" on September 2, 2010.  I'm in the process of moving those archived posts, those which I feel are still relevant to this blog and its content, to a republished state in a blog that is still active.  This one. This poem was the first post in that blog.  Honestly, I had not read it since posting it and did not even remember writing such a poem.  However, I thoroughly enjoyed re-reading it and I hope you get the sense of what I was trying to say then and am still saying now.


A Shot of Bourbon

Life's like a shot of bourbon.
It's short and sour
And after long enough
It's sure to kick your ass,
But somehow we find a way to enjoy it.

It burns all the way to the end,
Leaves you with a bitter grimace,
But there's a moment to be held,
To be cherished,
Just before the sigh of relief
When you finish.

Knock back a few too man,
And get knocked down a few too many times.
Just when you're flying high
You feel the gravel in your guts
Because you're empty, like that bottle, inside.

Your head hangs heavy
Atop smoke filled lungs.
Wait for the sun to rise before you hang it up.
Chased below the label,
You'd undo it all if you were able.

Turned upside down to pull the last drop,
Drink it up and dedicate the good stuff.
Like a hollow play, puppets play and glasses clang.
It won't last too long,
It's bittersweet and cumbersome.

However burned and gray, broken and beaten up
We'll still pour another one.
A slow burn and subtle hurt;
For better or worse, we've enjoyed it.




Follow me on Twitter @Savaged_Zen

No comments:

Post a Comment