Sunday, December 8, 2013

Euthanasia: Implications of a Right to Die

     As the third semester of my graduate career winds down (or winds up!) I've got plenty of final papers/projects to share over the next couple of days.  Let's start by talking bout something light... you know, like death.  The following will be submitted as my final essay for my Human Service Practicum course, for which I volunteered at a hospice.  Here is a link to the .pdf document; the abstract can be read below.

Abstract and Author's Note:
     This article begins an inquiry into the implications and applications of physician-assisted suicide and euthanasia within the context of hospice and end-of-life healthcare; accompanied by psychological and therapeutic considerations.  The foundation of this research lies in the acknowledgement of my own (the author's) biases, beliefs, and curiosities.  "The physicians had argued that the claimed right [to die] was analogous to a woman's right to decide to have an abortion (Mariner, 1997, p.2059)."  In acknowledgement of my own beliefs and preferences and in regard to abortion I am a proponent of choice in the hope that "life" will be chosen.  the intent of this article is to explore previous literature and investigate if I, or the reader, can settle upon a similar decision for end-of-life decisions as I do to the corresponding stance on beginning-of-life decisions (the aforementioned opinion on abortion).

No comments:

Post a Comment